What Is a Press Release?
A press release is a formal news document that highlights an aspect of your business – whether it’s a new product, a sponsored event, or any other information that you want publicized. In other words, a press release is a message, statement, or announcement about an event, occurrence, or occasion relating to a particular aspect of a brand or business. A press release is usually in the form of a compelling news story written and sent by an independent reporter or third party to targeted journalists, bloggers, online news portals, and print and electronic media outlets for the purpose of getting it published. A press release can effectively communicate about any aspect of a business to the world.
Press releases are an important element of business promotion and public relations strategy. Although press releases are promotional tools that are submitted or distributed for the purpose of promotion, they don’t sound or look like overly promotional. They sound and look like reporting an event, launch of a novel product, or an occurrence regarding a business for the purpose of bringing the content to the attention of the readers. Press releases look and feel like a story in a newspaper, a magazine, a blog, or a news portal.
The main purpose of a press release is to promote a significant and specific aspect of a brand or business. A press release lets the media know about a product, a service, an event, or any aspect of a business in the hope that it will pass the information along to general public. If impressed by your press release, a reporter may write a news article about. A press release can also help a business to establish and increase visibility on the internet via blogs, website, and social media platforms.
A press release is most effective when it is short and snappy with an attention-grabbing headline. A good press release starts with a compelling headline to instantly draw the readers’ attention and induce them to read the whole story. It includes contact information of the writer, such as name, phone number, e-mail address and all the essential information that you intend to present to the readers in about 500 words and the document doesn’t exceed two to three paragraphs. The information presented in a press release is usually unique, interesting, and newsworthy to persuade the receiving journalist, reporter, or the editor to read it.
In the world today it is important to remember that if a company or an individual is not visible continuously and regularly in the print, news, and online Internet media, the world will soon forget they exist, and move on to something more interesting. Everyone wants fresh and interesting news and information on a regular basis or they soon forgets an individual or company. As a company or individual that’s aspiring to be visible on the Internet, it is important and crucial to having a Press Release and have it distributed widely.
Here are a few of many advantages of having a press release and how it is beneficial for the success of a business:
- Saves money, as a press release is most affordable promotional and public relations tool to build and boost your online visibility
- Keeps the media, your current and prospective customers informed of your products, services, and important factors of your company.
- Spread the news about your business to as wider audience as possible, provides instant exposure, and induce potential customers to visit your website or drop in at your store.
- Helps build positive perception about your business, brings credibility, and creates a great brand image.
- Helps highlight key features and benefits of your products, draws in customers, increase sales, and boost your profits.
- Helps feature your business on top of your prospective customers’ newsfeed, and boosts your exposure.
- Helps guide your readers to your website and other online platforms where you sell your goods or services by including a couple of links in the press release.
- Helps boost your website traffic by including keywords and optimizing the press release content.